- Advise the Federal and Provincial Government on matters concerning general planning, development and standardization of administration, education and training, gender sensitization, communications, criminal identification facilities, criminal statistics and equipment of police and other law enforcement agencies.
- Identify and arrange research in the areas of criminology, terrorism, sectarian and ethnic violence, drug trafficking, organized crime, inter-provincial crime, crime having international dimensions, etc.
- Recommend Federal Government grants to various police organizations and Federal Law Enforcement Agencies for enhancing their operational capabilities.
- Recommend steps for securing inter-governmental and inter-agency assistance to ensure a comprehensive and cohesive arrangement for crime control and internal security.
- Recommend to the Federal and Provincial Governments standards of recruitment, appointment, promotions, transfers, tenure and discipline.
- Develop standing operating procedures based on internationally accepted good practices for adoption by the Police and Law Enforcement Agencies in the country to improve their performance.
- Any other duties that the Federal Government may assign to it.