National Public Safety Commision
Minister of Interior.
Director General, National Police Bureau.
6 members from National Assembly (MNAs).
6 members from civil society.
A total of forty six sessions of National Public Safety Commision have been held since its inception on 6th June, 2006.
- National Public Safety Commission will perform its duties as a Commission
- The Commission will oversee the functioning of the Federal Investigation Agency, Pakistan Railways, Anti-Narcotics Force, Frontier Constabulary, and National Highways and Motorway Police
- The Commission will recommend to the Federal Government a panel of three police officers for appointment of Capital City Police Officer for Islamabad and heads of FIA, Pakistan Railways, Pakistan Motorway and Highway Police and Frontier Constabulary (Article 11)
- National Public Safety Commission will recommend premature transfer of Capital City Police Officer Islamabad, FIA, Pakistan Railways, Anti-Narcotics Force, Frontier Constabulary, Pakistan Motorway and Highway Police for unsatisfactory performance of duties (Article 12)
- The National Public Safety Commission shall oversee the implementation of policing plans prepared by the respective heads of the law enforcement agencies and approved by the Government
- The Commission shall monitor and evaluate delivery of performance targets laid down in the annual plan every quarter
- The Commission shall require a relevant Federal law enforcement agency to submit to the National Public Safety Commission a general report on the working of the respective organization in a manner prescribed by the Commission
- The Commission shall submit an annual report to the Government and the Parliament that will include the following:
- An abstract concerning performance of the National Public Safety Commission during the year;
- A report on the functioning of the Federal law enforcement agencies; and
- A report on matters concerning general law and order in the country
- The Commission will recommend reforms and modernization of laws and procedures in respect of police, prosecution, prisons and probation services
- The National Public Safety Commission will be the focal point of coordination amongst the provincial Public Safety Commissions
- The National Public Safety Commission shall consider the proposals of the National Police Management Board and give its recommendations to the Government
- The Commission shall perform such other functions in regard to the public safety and safeguarding interests of the public as may be assigned to it by the Government and in particular pertaining to prosecution, prison and probation services
- The Commission will facilitate the establishment and functioning of Citizens Police Liaison Committees in accordance with Article 168